Thursday, October 01, 2009

Ladies Love Cool NCIS: LA

So, I'm going to share my thoughts with you on television. I like it. The new season started on September 21 (well, the 17th, really, if you watch NBC comedy on Thursdays), and I want to talk about it. I will do so in short little opinion pieces.

Today, I feel compelled to talk about NCIS: Los Angeles.

It's a spinoff of NCIS. Both shows deal with the Navy's Criminal Investigation branch. If a military person is killed or commits a crime, these guys show up. The newer one, as you may have guessed, is based in LA, versus the original in the DC metro area (and, really, all over the world). It stars Chris O'Donnell and L.L. Cool J. Weird combination, I know, but it works, against all odds.

But, while their on-screen banter is cool and the other characters are good, that's not the highlight of the show.

Linda Hunt as Hetty is just fantastic and they always give her something to say to someone else (or to no one in particular, as in Tuesday's episode) that brings a smile to my face. She's like the Yoda of the group, in wisdom and stature. I've seen her before, but I've never seen any of her work. Maybe I should seek it out. She's great.

I am thoroughly enjoying NCIS: LA. The strength of its predecessor has always been its characters and this spin off is following the same cue. For the most part, the investigations in these stories always seem to be secondary to character interaction and development and that's very okay with me.

Though, I will add, if L.L. ever says "Momma say knock you out" in the show, I may have to stop watching.

Chris O'Donnell should not make any Batman references, either.

No comments: