Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Let's Get Dangerous

I was all set to go on another rant about politics (this time, about war powers), but a quick few minutes to brush up on the constitution took most of the wind out of my sails. Still, though, this seemed weird to me.

Former secretaries of state James Baker III and Warren Christopher say the next time the president goes to war, Congress should be required to say whether it agrees.

Isn't that already the case? Isn't Congress supposed to vote on whether our country goes to war, or not?


The co-chairmen of a bipartisan study group have proposed legislation that would require the president to consult lawmakers before initiating combat lasting longer than a week, exceptin cases of emergencies.

In turn, Congress would have to act within 30 days, either approving or disapproving of the action.

Am I crazy? I was sure this was already well established. You know, like, 221 years ago.

***

In lighter news (well, not news), I know all of you have been losing sleep over where I could've possilby derived "Let's. Get. Political." Those of you who were considered kids in the early to mid-nineties should be ashamed of yourselves for not knowing (or at least not saying).

It's Darkwing Duck.


I loved Darkwing Duck when I was a kid. I used to watch it every day after school. His catch phrase was "Let's get dangerous."

So, none of you win.

(There wasn't a prize, anyway. ;) )

No comments: